Monday, August 14, 2006

Point of Impact

While I've never considered myself to be a connoisseur of video games (aside from those glorious Mario Brothers, PacMan and Tetris days), yesterday has me reconsidering.

My 7-year-old nephew, Nik, was playing the new game my brother bought for him yesterday afternoon when I went to visit them. Harmlessly, I watched him for awhile, never suspecting that I could be exposing myself to something greater than my willpower. Thirty minutes after he began I asked if I could play along. Five and a half hours later, and still in the same position, I reluctantly put down the controls. The drug? XBox game: Burnout 2: Point of Impact.

All about wrecking cars and wreaking havoc, this game can be used as a brilliant learning tool for our little ones. For instance, we can teach them that by driving on the wrong side of the road they can build up their booster, which will help them go faster and cause mass carnage later on. Or, if you crash into the first car in on-coming traffic, it will launch you into the path of the numerous semis and busses that are coming, AND, if you tip a bus or semi, you'll rack up some serious points! My personal best: $70,000,000 worth of damage in one accident. I dare you to beat me...or die trying.

I, for one, have never been so automatically addicted to something (well, besides the obvious: LOST). May I encourage you to play a crucial role in the development of tomorrow's generation; after all, the more points you get, the more zones you can unlock!

You're welcome.


1 comment:

RoniZee said...

That sounds like a fabulous video game.

I used to babysit this very sweet little girl who liked to play video games. Her parent's were very granola-ish and wouldn't even let her watch tv, so I was a little thrown off when she started playing Mortal Kombat and proceeded to show me how to rip off a players head and pull out their blood-dripping spine. Something was not right there.